TENTH INTERNATIONAL GEORGE MOORE CONFERENCE
Truth, Innovation and Commitment: the Artistic Legacy of George Moore
October 24-25, 2019
At the University of Almería, Spain. Find the poster of the conference clicking here
Comprising over 50 books, numerous short stories and articles, plays, and even some poetry, the Moore oeuvre invites inspection and responses, particularly from scholars in the fields of literature, history, politics, sociology, music, visual art, and gender studies. However, documented aspects of George Moore’s negotiations and discussions could interest lawyers, accountants and mediators.
Deadline Extension: July 31, 2019
George Moore Association Bursary – Click here
The George Moore Association Bursary 2019.
- Subject to the adjudication of the trustees, this bursary may be awarded to a postgraduate student whose research is related to an area of interest to George Moore Studies, and who presents a paper at the 2019 Conference at the University of Almeria, Spain. Final applications should be sent to Dr Mary Pierse, Trustee of the George Moore Association, (email@example.com) by 09 July 2019.
- The bursary will be awarded to one successful applicant whose research intersects significantly with Moore studies and whose conference paper has been accepted by the conference organisers and delivered in person at the conference. The bursary will be presented at the conference.
- The bursary of €300 may be used to cover flights/travel expenses/accommodation, howsoever the recipient wishes to allocate same.
- The conference fee will be waived for the successful recipient of the bursary; hence, it will be repaid at the conference.
- Having indicated an interest in being considered for such an award, students should forward (1) a short statement of their interest in George Moore studies, stating how that interest relates to their doctoral studies, and (2) how they might further and continue such research into the writings of George Moore. This statement should be accompanied by a supporting reference from the applicant’s supervisor
- Due to some technical delays, the closing date for completed applications is now extended to 09 July 2019.
The 2019 bursary is the first such award to be made by The George Moore Association. The George Moore Association has existed for many years and has now been formally constituted as registered charity (REGISTERED CHARITY NUMBER 20202426). The association aims to further the study of Moore’s writings through the prisms of literature, art, music, history and folklore, and to underline the twenty-first century relevance of the Moore insights and approach. It will seek governmental and philanthropic funding to help young scholars, to foster literary tourism, and to assist with publications in different media.
Proposals for papers are invited from individual speakers and from themed panels. Topics could include, but are not limited to:
– A Moore trajectory?
– Moore’s connections: reaching out to artists, writers, friends, sympathisers and followers
-Moore and fin-de-siècle political, social and cultural ideologies
-Moore’s artistic evolution and legacy
-Moore, within and without Naturalism, Symbolism and Modernism
-Moore’s other stylistic worlds: theatre, opera, outdoor pursuits, Dutch painting, Grecian sculpture & archaeology.
-Reactions to Moore
-Moore and the story: rewriting and reconstruction
-Moore’s autobiographical writings
-Moore’s use of humour as a literary device
-Moore’s artistic legacy
-Moore’s influence on other writers
-Moore’s reconstruction and rewriting of books
-Moore and genres: novel, short story, drama
-Moore and gender
-GM: Francophile & Anglophile?
Abstracts (200 words) for papers proposed (20 minutes maximum delivery time) should be accompanied by a short biographical note (100 words), plus full address, institutional affiliation and email. Please send abstracts to María Elena Jaime de Pablos: firstname.lastname@example.org