Dr. Shyi-Dong Yeh
Department of Plant Pathology
National Chung Hsing University
Chair Professor of Plant Pathology; Professor Yeh is a pioneer for the introduction of plant genetic engineering to solve agricultural problems in Taiwan. His outstanding accomplishments on the study of Papaya ringspot virus, including control by cross protection and transgenic approaches, have been featured in five cover articles of Plant Disease and Phytopathology. Through his guidance, national regulations and facilities for biosafety assessment of GM crops were established, providing a solid base in Taiwan for the transgenic studies on rice and other crops. His scientific honors include three times recipient of Outstanding Research Award from the NSC, National Scientific Award from MOE, Fellow of the American Phytopathology Society (elected in 2008) and Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (elected in 2008). He was responsible for a five-year project for Frontier Science Research from NSC (1998-2003) and a four-year Research Program for Promoting Academic Excellence of University from NSC (2004-2008). Prof. Yeh also served as the coordinator of the field of Plant Protection in the NSC, and co-chairman for the National Agricultural Biotechnology Program, responsible for plant biotechnology (2005-2008). He also served the Director of Agricultural and Marine Biotechnology Resources Center sponsored by MOE (2006-2009). Recently, he received the Executive Yuan Award for Outstanding Science and Technology Contribution (2016), the Ministry of Education for 19th National Professorships (2016) and elected as Academicians of Academia Sinica (2018).
Selected publications in recent five years:
- Peng. J.-C, Chen. T.-C., Raja. J. A. J., Yang. C.-F., Chien. W.-C., Lin C.-H., Liu. F.-L., Wu. H.-W., and Yeh. S.-D. (2014) Broad-spectrum transgenic resistance against distinct tospovirus species at the genus level. PLoS One 9(5):e96073.
- Yang. C.-F., Chen. K.-C., Cheng. Y.-H., Raja. J. A. J., Huang. Y.-L., Chien. W.-C., and Yeh. S.-D. (2014) Generation of marker-free transgenic plants concurrently resistant to a DNA geminivirus and a RNA Tospovirus. Scientific Reports 4:5717, 1-11.
- Kung. Y.-J., Lin. P.-C., Yeh. S.-D., Hong. S.-F., Chua. N.- H., Liu. L.-Y., Lin. C.-P., Huang. Y.-H., Wu. H.-W., Chen. C.-C., and Lin. S.-S. (2014) Genetic Analyses of the FRNK Motif Function of Turnip Mosaic Virus Uncover Multiple and Potentially Interactive Pathways of Cross-Protection. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 27, 944-955.
- Kang, Y.-C., Yeh, S.-D., Liao, C.-H., Chou, W.-C., Liu, F.-L., Dong, J.-H., and Chen, T.-C. (2014) Verification of serological relationship between two phylogenetically related peanut-infecting Tospovirus species. European Journal of Plant Pathology 140(4):815-828.
- Lin, H.-T., Yen, G.-C., Lee, W.-C., Tsai, Y.-T. Wu, J.-H., Yeh, S.-D., Cheng, Y.-H., Chang, S.-C., Liao, J.-W. (2015/1) Repeated dose 90-day feeding study of whole fruits of genetically modified papaya resistant to Papaya ringspot virus in rats. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 64(4):1286-1292. SCI
- Wu, P.-R., Chien, W.-C., Okuda, M., Takeshita, M., Yeh, S.-D., Wang, Y.-C.‚ and Chen, T.-C. (2015/2) Genetic and serological characterization of chrysanthemum stem necrosis virus, a member of the genus Tospovirus. Archives of Virology. 160:529-536. SCI
- Kung, Y.-J., You, B.-J., Raja. J. A. J., Chen, K.-C., Huang, C.-H., Bau, H.-J., Yang, C.-F., Huang, C.-H., Chang, C.-P., and Yeh, S.-D. (2015/4) Nucleotide sequence-homology-independent breakdown of transgenic resistance by more virulent virus strains and a potential solution. Scientific Reports. 5:9804, 1-10. SCI
- Huang, C.-H., Hsiao, W.-R., Huang, C.-W., Chen, K.-C., Lin, S.-S., Chen, T-C., Raja. J. A. J., Wu, H.-W., and Yeh, S.-D. (2015/5) Two novel motifs of Watermelon Silver Mottle Virus NSs protein are responsible for RNA silencing suppression and pathogenicity. PLoS One. 10:e0126161. SCI
- Yazhisai, U., Rajagopalan, P. A., Raja J. A. J., Chen, T.-C, and Yeh, S.-D. (2015/8) Untranslatable tospoviral NSs fragment coupled with L conserved region enhances transgenic resistance against the homologous virus and a serologically unrelated tospovirus. Transgenic Research. 24(4):635-649. SCI
- Chen, T.-C., Tsai, W.-T., Kang, Y.-C., Wang, Y.-C., Yeh, S.-D. (2016/3) Using monoclonal antibodies against the common epitopes of NSs proteins for the prompt detection and differentiation of tospoviruses prevalent in Euro-America and Asia Regions. European Journal of Plant Pathology. 144:509-524. SCI
- Chen, Y.-H., Dong, J.-H., Chien, W.-C., Zheng, K.-Y., Wu K., Yeh, S.-D., Sun, J.-H., Wang, Y.-C. and Chen, T.-C. (2016/4) Monoclonal antibodies for differentiating infections of three serological-related tospoviruses prevalent in Southwestern China. Virology Journal. 13:72 1-13. SCI
- Zheng, K.-Y., Liu, H.-G., Yin, Y.-Y, Chen, T.-C., Yeh, S.-D., Zhang, Z.-K, Dong, J.-H. (2016/5) Full-length M and L RNA sequences of tospovirus isolate 2009-GZT, which causes necrotic ringspot on tomato in China. Archives of Virology. 161(5):1411-4. SCI
- Lin, H.-T., Lee, W.-C., Tsai, Y.-T., Wu, J.-H., Yen, G.-C., Yeh, S.-D., Cheng, Y.-H., Chang, S.-C. and Liao, J.-W. (2016/7) Subchronic Immunotoxicity Assessment of Genetically Modified Virus-Resistant Papaya in Rats. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 64:5935−5940. SCI
- Zheng, K.-Y., Chen, T.-C., Yeh, S.-D., Rahman, Md. S., Su, X.-X., Wu, K., Li, T., Zhang, Z.-K., Dong, J.-H. (2017/5) Characterization of a new isolate of pepper chlorotic spot virus from Yunnan province, China. Archives of Virology. 162(9)2809-2814. SCI
- Seo, J.-S., Sun, H.-X., Park, B.-S., Huang, C.-H, Yeh, S.-D., Jung, C., Chua, N.-H. (2017/5) ELF18-induced long-noncoding RNA associates with mediator to enhance expression of innate immune response genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 29(5):1024-1038. SCI
- Chou, W.-C., Lin, S.-S., Yeh, S.-D., Li, S.-L., Peng, Y.-C., Fan, Y.-H., Chen, T.-C. (2017/8) Characterization of the genome of a phylogenetically distinct tospovirus and its interactions with the local lesion-induced host Chenopodium quinoa by whole-transcriptome analyses. PLOS ONE. 12:e0182425. SCI
- Kang, Y.-C., Chen, T.-C., and Yeh, S.-D.* (2017) Molecular characterization of Cucurbit chlorotic yellows virus from Taiwan. Journal of Plant Medicine.
- S. Poque, Wu, H.-W., Huang, C.-H., Cheng, H.-W., Hu, W.-C., Yang, J.-Y., Wang, David, Yeh, S.-D.* (2018/1) Potyviral gene silencing suppressor HCPro interacts with salicylic acid binding protein 3 to weaken SA mediated defense responses. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions. 31(1):86-100. SCI
- Kang, Y.-C., Wang, Y.-C., Hsia, C.-M., Tsai, W.-S., Huang, L.-H., Yeh, S.-D.*, and Chen, T.-C.* (2018/3). Molecular characterization and detection of a genetically distinct Tomato chlorosis virus strain in Taiwan. Plant Disease. 102(3):600-607. SCI
- Chong, Y.-H., Cheng, Y.-H., Cheng, H.-W., Huang, Y.-C. and Yeh, S.-D.* (2018/5) The major potyvirus causing passionfruit woodiness disease in Taiwan is reclassified as East Asian Passiflora virus. Journal of general plant pathology. 84(3):208–220. SCI
- Maes P, Alkhovsky SV, Bào Y, Beer M, Birkhead M, Briese T, Buchmeier MJ, Calisher CH, Charrel RN, Choi IR, Clegg CS, de la Torre JC, Delwart E, DeRisi JL, Di Bello PL, Di Serio F, Digiaro M, Dolja VV, Drosten C, Druciarek TZ, Du J, Ebihara H, Elbeaino T, Gergerich RC, Gillis AN, Gonzalez JJ, Haenni AL, Hepojoki J, Hetzel U, Hồ T, Hóng N, Jain RK, Jansen van Vuren P, Jin Q, Jonson MG, Junglen S, Keller KE, Kemp A, Kipar A, Kondov NO, Koonin EV, Kormelink R, Korzyukov Y, Krupovic M, Lambert AJ, Laney AG, LeBreton M, Lukashevich IS, Marklewitz M, Markotter W, Martelli GP, Martin RR, Mielke-Ehret N, Mühlbach HP, Navarro B, Ng TFF, Nunes MRT, Palacios G, Pawęska JT, Peters CJ, Plyusnin A, Radoshitzky SR, Romanowski V, Salmenperä P, Salvato MS, Sanfaçon H, Sasaya T, Schmaljohn C, Schneider BS, Shirako Y, Siddell S, Sironen TA, Stenglein MD, Storm N, Sudini H, Tesh RB, Tzanetakis IE, Uppala M, Vapalahti O, Vasilakis N, Walker PJ, Wáng G, Wáng L, Wáng Y, Wèi T, Wiley MR, Wolf YI, Wolfe ND, Wú Z, Xú W, Yang L, Yāng Z, Yeh SD, Zhāng YZ, Zhèng Y, Zhou X, Zhū C, Zirkel F, Kuhn JH. (2018/8) Taxonomy of the family Arenaviridae and the order Bunyavirales: update 2018. Archives of Virology. 163(8):2295-2310.SCI
- Yeh, S.-D. (2018/11) Cross protection approach, a non-GMO measure for control of destructive plant viruses, applied to tropical fruits of passion fruit and papaya. Development of multi-valence mild protective strains to be applied on cucurbits for control of aphid-borne, thrips-borne and whitefly-borne viruses. ScienceImpact. 2018(8):55-57.
- Yeh, S.-D. (2019/1) Papaya biotechnology for virus resistance. SciTech Europa Quarterly. 2019:1-2.